Edwin Hammond

Edwin George Hammond

Thursday, September 3rd, 2020
Recommend this to your friends.
Share via:

Sign in to the Family Interactive Login

The Family Interactive feature enhances An Amazing Life. Authorized family members can securely access their loved one's memorial website settings at any time.

Share Book of Memories with a Friend

Please enter the name and email details so that we can send your friend a link to the online tribute. No names or addresses will be collected by using this service.

Email Sent

Your email has been sent.

To share your memory on the wall of Edwin Hammond, sign in using one of the following options:

Sign in with Facebook


Sign in with your email address

Your condolence has been posted successfully

Provide comfort for the family by sending flowers or planting a tree in memory of Edwin Hammond

No Thanks

Contact Funeral Home

Please enter your question or comment below:

Email Sent

Your email has been sent.

Edwin's Tribute Fund

  •  Full Name
  •  Initials
  •  Anonymous
By continuing, you agree with the terms and privacy policy.

Edwin's Tribute Fund

There may be a delay while processing. Please do not click the back button or refresh while a payment is processing.
Send Flowers
Guaranteed hand delivery by a local florist


On Thursday, September 3, 2020, Ed Hammond, beloved husband, father and friend, went to the arms of our Heavenly Father, at age 78.

Edwin (Ed) George Hammond was born the 15th of August 1942 in Orange, California. He attended Excelsior Union High School in Norwalk, California and graduated in June of 1960. On July 12, 1960 he enlisted in the U.S. Navy at the naval receiving station in Los Angeles, CA. After training school, in March of 1961, he was transferred to Heavy Attack Squadron 123 (VAH-123) at Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Washington for training on ordnance maintenance on the A3D Skywarrior. In May of 1961, he was transferred to VAH-4 where he deployed to the far east on board the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Lexington (CVA-16). In June of 1962, Ed was transferred to Fleet Air Recon Squadron One (VQ-1) at Naval Air Station Atsugi, Japan. During this tour in Japan, he was promoted from Aviation Ordnanceman 3rd Class to 2nd Class and re-enlisted for 6 years. In August of 1963, Ed was transferred to Naval Air Tech Training Unit in Jacksonville, FL for AO “B” school. After which, he was transferred back to Whidbey Island to Heavy 10 (VAH-10) and deployed on board the carrier U.S.S. Constellation (CVA-64). During this deployment to the far east on board the Constellation, he participated in the arming of the first air strikes against the North Vietnamese in the Gulf of Tonkin. In May of 1965, Ed returned from deployment and was assigned shore duty as a weapons instructor with Heavy Attack Squadron 123. He taught Special Weapons Delivery to pilots and B/N’s. He also taught conventional weapons loading for the A3B Skywarrior and the A6A Intruder. He helped write the first conventional weapons loading checklist for the venerable A-6. In 1967, Ed was promoted to AO First Class, and married the love of his life, Darlene A. Roberts. Between 1967 and 1969, he was transferred to Attack Squadron (VA-128) as an instructor, and Attack Squadron (VA-145) for sea duty. On January 1969, aboard the Carrier U.S.S. Enterprise (CVAN-65) heading for Vietnam, a fire broke out on the flight deck which set off high explosive bombs, missiles, and 20mm ammo. This accident left over 80 aircraft destroyed or damaged and resulted in a loss of 32 lives, with over 300 injuries. On February 24, 1969, Ed separated from the service and returned to Oak Harbor, WA. He worked as a driver for Oak Harbor Freight Lines for just over a year, and then joined Fakkema & Kingma, Inc. Surveyors and Consulting Engineers in Oak Harbor where he spent the remainder of his working career. That following month, he joined the Naval Reserves with Patrol Squadron (VP-69) at NAS Whidbey Island where he flew as an Aircrewman in the SP2H (P2V-7) Neptune. During the next 19 years with VP-69, Ed flew over 350 hours in the P-2 and over 2500 hours in the P3A/B Orion aircraft. During these years with the Naval Reserves he was promoted from First Class Petty Officer to Senior Chief. He retired in January of 1990 with over 28 years of service. By this time, Ed and Darlene were raising three children: Edwin (b. 1969), Brandon (b. 1972), and Melody (b. 1980). Ed started out with Fakkema & Kingma as a rear chainman and worked his way up to Chief of Party. He was very active with the State Land Surveyor’s Association and was awarded the first ever State’s Associate Surveyor of the Year Award in 1983. He later acted as the Manager of Field Operations for the firm. Ed was active as one of the plank owners of the Association of Aviation Ordnancemen, Chapter Three of Whidbey Island. He served as Secretary/Treasurer for the local chapter, and later was Editor of the National Newsletter “The Red Shirt”, which he named. Ed belonged to the following organizations: First Reformed Church of Oak Harbor, Association of Aviation Ordnancemen, VFW, Oak Harbor Toastmasters, PBY Memorial Foundation Board of Directors, Land Surveyors Association of Washington, American Congress of Surveying and Mapping, 3 term President of the Whidbey Cruzers classic car club of Oak Harbor, and curator of the PBY Memorial Foundation Historical Museum at the Naval Sea Plane base in Oak Harbor. In his last several years, he also became involved in the Heritage Flight Museum located at Skagit Regional Airport as a docent and worked on the restoration of the T-34 Mentor. He was so honored to be a part of the Heritage Flight Museum and it brought him so much joy.

If you had the pleasure of knowing Ed, you’d know he was never out of jokes and never lost his humor, even during his final days. He was a man of honest, integrity, and steadfast devotion to his family, his friends, his career, and his faith. He spent many years researching his and Darlene’s family lineage and visiting places of family history. He could tell you every detail and fact about historical wars and when he spoke of the military, it was thick with pride. A week before his death he still claimed he could break down a .50 cal machine gun and put it back together in the dark. Whether you knew him from being that dude who drove the 19 foot long 1967 Buick Electra 225 convertible emblazoned in Corvette yellow and sweet ghost flames (aka, the “EdSled”), or from spending years working alongside him either in the surveying field or air field, you knew a man who loved his life and loved those in it. Darlene, his loving wife and best friend, was at the center of everything he did and they loved to travel with friends, especially from First Reformed Church and the Cruzers.

Ed was preceded in death by his father, Charles Edwin, his mother Leona, and sister Trish. He is survived by his beautiful bride of 54 years, Darlene, children Ed, Brandon and Melody, his youngest sister Betsy, and his six grandchildren he was so incredibly proud of, Amelia, Jared, Alexis, Andrew, Holland and Savannah.
Donations can be made to The Heritage Flight Museum in Ed Hammond's name at – and hit the donate button. This will direct you to their PayPal site.
Read Less

To send flowers to the family or plant a tree in memory of Edwin George Hammond, please visit our Heartfelt Sympathies Store.

Sign Up for Notifications

Receive notifications about information and event scheduling for Edwin

Service Details

There are no events scheduled. You can still show your support by sending flowers directly to the family, or planting a memorial tree in memory of Edwin George Hammond.


We encourage you to share your most beloved memories of Edwin here, so that the family and other loved ones can always see it. You can upload cherished photographs, or share your favorite stories, and can even comment on those shared by others.

No video recorded.

Private Condolence
Tom Jones and Vic and Sandy Verre sent flowers to the family of Edwin George Hammond.
Guaranteed hand delivery by a local florist

Jamie Frser

Posted at 04:20pm
As a volunteer at Heritage Flight Museum I remember Ed. A great conversationalist and always ready to help out. I worked with him when the museum had a booth at the abbotsford air show several years ago. It was almost triple digit heat and we were on the static line tarmac. Ridiculously hot! We had a cover canopy but as the sun moved we had to keep shifting our position to stay shaded. Thanks, Ed, for your help at HFM!

Larry Kiger

Posted at 05:03pm
Candi and I wish to extend our condolences to you and your family in these difficult times. I did attend his services at Maple Leaf,
but I was parked in the wrong area to drive by you to greet you. I have a lot of great memories of my time with Ed at the PBYMF
and at the HFM. Good memories are one thing that can never be taken from us. I believe that I have sent to Ed in the past some
photos of our experiences with the HFM. I may have more photos, if you would like to have them. Please let me know if you would like them, and please let Candi and me know if there is anything we can do for you at this time, or at anytime in the future.
Please be safe, and our thoughts are with you.
Larry Kiger

Tom Jones

Posted at 09:08pm
Ed was such a special person to everyone who knew him and with whom he served! Our condolences are with Darlene and the rest of the family.
Flower Image

Tom Jones purchased flowers for the family of Edwin Hammond. Send Flowers


Richard Mack

Posted at 01:22pm
It was a pleasure to know Ed for the past 40 years.

Richard Mack
Oak Harbor

Barbara Strowbridge

Posted at 08:00pm
We're so sorry for your loss. Ed was so nice to be around, he should have been allowed a longer earthly life.
Bill & Barbara Strowbridge

Photos & Videos

Photo Album

Upload up to 10 images at a time, max 8MB each
Share by: